Salary: £15,600.00 to £17,062.50 per annum based on 37.5 hours per week
Location: Oakwood Court College, Dawlish EX7 0DE
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (full-time) with part-time and flexible working considered
Contract: Permanent (52 weeks of the year).
Here at Oakwood we look to create an environment where independence and community inclusion can flourish. We do this by providing opportunities for the young people we support to learn new skills and build on existing skills within their home and in their local community; everyday life skills that will give them a sense of achievement and increased opportunity for the future.
“Many people don’t consider going into social care because they don’t think that they have the necessary skills and experience. The reality is that we all have to start somewhere; you may be surprised what life skills you can bring to our team to make a difference in the lives of the people we support.”
– Neil, Registered Manager for Oakwood Court Residential Home.
The Daily Routine:
The shift patterns at Oakwood aren’t what you might traditionally see in a social care setting; this is because we support young people when they return to their home after a busy day at college. Most young people are only here during the week, but we do have some that stay with us over the weekend. We also support the young people we support to engage in activities that help them to become a part of their community and help them gain extra skills and encourage them to be involved in choosing the activities that they enjoy.
The Team working with the young people we support join them and support them participating in their chosen activities and can see the enjoyment they have through learning and having fun.
During the week team members support young people to engage in everyday activities to promote and increase their independence for when they leave college. A typical shift is 3:30pm – 10:30pm including some sleep ins.
At weekends the shifts are 9:00am – 10:30pm every other weekend; the shifts do sound very long but they fly by, the young people that stay with us over the weekend choose how they want to spend their weekend and activities that they wish to participate in.
As we have some young people who stay with us over the holiday period we have a rota that reflects the activities and support requirements specific to them.
“Each and every day is different and rewarding, knowing that you’ve tried your best to help young people overcome their own obstacles and worries, and learning something new. It makes me feel proud to be part of this team”.
– Andrew (Team Leader)
This role is not without its challenges, some days may be more intense due to the nature of the young adults conditions. Full classroom based training is given and is also ongoing. Management and seniors also offer additional support on shift.
- You will, ideally, have already achieved a Diploma or NVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care (adults) or equivalent or be excited by the prospect of gaining a recognised qualification with full financial and practical support from us.
- You will preferably hold a current driving license, be able to remain calm in difficult situations and willing to work sleep ins to cover our 24 hour operations.
Benefits of working with us:
- Chance to top up monthly pay with additional sleep in rates that increases with the more you do each month
- Enhanced overtime hourly rate
- Employee Pension Scheme
- Retail/High-street/Supermarket shopping vouchers
- Fully paid holiday allowance including birthday leave.
- Aid in gaining extra qualifications with our excellent Learning and Development schemes and increase opportunities to progress within the organisation
- Fully paid classroom based induction and ongoing face to face training from industry professionals
- Professional and ongoing personal supervision process to provide you and your line manager with the opportunity to address all aspects of your role and ensure on-going support, direction and feedback
About Oakwood Court College Residential Home:
Oakwood Court College is an independent specialist college located in the beautiful South West of England that offers a holistic, broad and balanced curriculum which enables learners to flourish academically, vocationally, socially, physically and emotionally.
Our onsite residential accommodation welcomes our young adults into a well-supported homely environment where they have their own room and facilities as well as unlimited access to the shared areas. Communal areas such as the lounge, kitchen and dining areas encourage our young adults to form friendships with their housemates and develop essential and transferable social skills.
How to Apply:
Please click on ‘Apply Now’ and you will be directed to our simple online application form which is mobile and tablet friendly. For more information please call us on 01626 868 125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment safeguarding checks including an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.