Location: Acorn School, Winkleigh, Mid Devon
Pay: £9.00 – £9.50 per hour.
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours a week (There is an option for 52 weeks or 38 weeks)
Contract: Permanent, Full time
We are seeking School Caretaker to provide efficient and effective Maintenance and Refurbishment support for Acorn School which has recently moved to a new site in Winkleigh in mid Devon.
The post holder will be expected to observe safe working practices at all times in carrying out their required duties and ensure that instructions specified by the Headteacher, Senior Management, Maintenance Technicians, external technical consultants, contractors and manufacturers are adhered to.
The role will involve working closely with the existing company maintenance team and on occasion, possible work o other sites across the South West but your base and line management will be at Acorn School.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist, as directed by the Head Teacher, Maintenance Manager and Senior Maintenance Technician, in the upkeep and refurbishment of Acorn School’s buildings, sites and grounds.
- To provide maintenance across other services such as residential services and other educational establishments as required.
- To provide Maintenance and Refurbishment to our buildings and grounds in accordance with business requirements, alongside operational colleagues working in these locations.
- To keep any tools or equipment, used in the course of carrying out duties, maintained and report faults promptly to the Maintenance Manager.
- To consider the environmental circumstances with regard to the tasks set and to go about these tasks in a safe manner so that our students and young people will not be exposed or have access to such tools/ materials/equipment or debris.
- To insure all tools, materials, equipment and debris are safely and securely stored away at the end of each working day.
- To make safe an environment and then rectify attrition caused within the premises.
- To ensure that all foot traffic areas inside and outside are free from trip hazards and have sufficient grip for safe use
- To remove all Maintenance and household waste materials/debris generated in a safe manner to a recycling station or waste disposal site.
- To undertake porterage tasks as required including making/moving items such as flat packed furniture and other items when requested.
- To undertake core maintenance duties as directed by the Maintenance Manager as outlined below;
- To ensure that the premises are clean and well presented.
Qualifications and Skills
Candidates need to demonstrate a broad range of experience in the field of maintenance/property renovation skills.
- Carpentry skills would be especially desirable.
- Candidates must hold a full Driving Licence in order to drive company vans.
- Understanding of COSHH.
Not only will you have the privilege of working with wonderful children and fantastic colleagues, as part of Phoenix Learning and Care Group you will be entitled to the following benefits:
- Employee Pension Scheme
- Retail/High-street Shopping Vouchers including childcare vouchers
- Fully Paid Holiday allowance
- 24-hour help and support for you and your family through our Employee Assistance Scheme
- Fully paid classroom-based induction with extensive ongoing face to face training programs
- Aid in obtaining extra qualifications and upskilling
- Internal progression
- Professional and ongoing personal supervision process to provide you and your line manager with opportunities to reflect.
About Acorn School:
Acorn school provides a safe, caring learning environment for 9-16olds who have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties. Each individual is treated with inclusion, compassion and understanding. The school has recently undergone a complete site refurbishment and is now on the next stage of it’s development.
Acorn School is part of Phoenix Learning & Care Group which was established in 2006 and is a provider of specialist children’s homes across the South West. Our homes and education services cater for Young people with specific and individual needs who may have a range of social and emotional difficulties, behaviour, trauma and attachment issues, learning difficulties and other associated needs.
Through honesty, empathy, aspiration, respect and teamwork, we strive to promote a culture where ideas can blossom, every individual can flourish and outcomes for all can be met and exceeded.
How to Apply:
Please click on ‘Apply Now’ and you will be directed to our simple online application form which is mobile and tablet friendly. For more information please call Wendy at Acorn School on 01271 859720 or email email@example.com
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment safeguarding checks including an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.