The Phoenix Academy, based in Somerset and provides a unique and specialist educational resource for students with Special Educational Needs of various types, but particularly those with Social emotional and mental health difficulties. We have high expectations of our students and celebrate their ongoing successes through positive reward. The main emphasis is on nurturing the individual student and providing bespoke education to meet their individual needs.
- A warm, welcoming and nurturing school, allowing children who may have met setbacks in their educational journey can re-engage with learning in a safe and supportive environment
- A ‘can do’ culture at the school; by recognising students’ individual skills and needs we are able to work with them to help them achieve to their full potential.
- A Positive School Rewards System which encourages and motivates students to succeed academically and socially
- Offer a range of qualifications and awards across the curriculum including: GCSEs, Entry Level Certificates, ASDAN COPE, The Duke of Edinburgh Awards, Functional Skills Certificates and the AQA unit awards.
We provide a broad and balanced curriculum to meet the needs of individual students from KS 2 – KS4
The Board of Governors is ambitious for all children and young people and infused with a passion for education and a commitment to continuous school improvement that enables the best possible outcomes. Governance is grounded in reality as through collation of both high-quality objective data and a full understanding of the views and needs of students, staff, parents, carers and local communities.
The board provides a wide range of skills and are focused on the key strategic issues and conduct their role with humility, good judgement, resilience and determination.
The key features of governance are:
Strategic leadership that sets and champions vision, ethos and strategy.
Accountability that drives up educational standards and financial performance.
Compliance with statutory and contractual requirements.
Evaluation to monitor and improve the quality and impact of governance.
Key Roles and Responsibilities of the Governing Body
- Setting the Vision and Strategic Direction of the School
- Agreeing the Schools Aims and Values as described in the Statement of Purpose
- Agreeing Governing Body powers and duties
- School Strategic Development Planning
- Setting Performance management targets for the Head Teacher
- Agreeing Policies/Procedures
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the schools educational performance
- Monitoring and evaluation of data/reports
- Assuring themselves of the rigour and validity of the teaching assessment process
- Visiting the school
- Seeking and acting on the views of Parents (inc Carers)/Students to evaluate their satisfaction
- Challenge and support offered through tasks and activities in response to the Head Teachers report which will result in the improvement to the education provision and outcomes
- Ensuring financial resources are well spent
- Budget setting (demonstrating spending choices made in line with school priorities)
- Strategic and Reflective budget planning for spending (including Pupil Premium Grant)
- Any exploration of “best value”
- Ensuring Statutory duties are met and priorities approved
- Ensuring the school website is up-to-date and complies with regulations
- Ensuring agenda’s/work programmes annual cycle of timely discussion, review and approval of key compliance requirements (e.g. Child Protection Policy and Single Central Record)
- Ensuring safeguarding responsibilities are met
- Monitoring the delivery of the curriculum offer and the effectiveness of the Social, Moral and Cultural mix
- Checking that all training is valid, authorised and available as required
Board of Governors:
Chair – Jon Pain
Finance Governor – Francois Delbaere
Safeguarding Governor – Ray Charran
Children in Care Governor – Kiks Sheppard
Parent Governor – TBC
Children’s Champion – TBC
Head Teacher – Jon Lloyd
Clerk – Caroline Palmer
Statutory polices are available through the links below; all polices are available on request from the school office:
Head Teacher Jon Lloyd
Phone: 01271 318110 For general enquiries please ask for Caroline Palmer
The Phoenix Academy proprietor is:
Phoenix Childcare Ltd
1st Floor, Rolle Quay House, Rolle Quay, Barnstaple, North Devon, EX31 1JE
Tel: 01271 379006
If you wish to receive a paper copy of the information provided in this website, including policy documents please contact us and we will be pleased to send it to you.